Welcome to the Syston Syclers!
THE COMMITTEE WOULD LIKE TO REMIND ALL MEMBERS TO KEEP THEIR REGISTRATION UP TO DATE. THIS IS NOT ONLY TO RECEIVE INFORMATION BUT TO ENSURE YOUR EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBER IS CORRECT. WE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO REMIND YOU THAT WEARING A HELMET IS A CONDITION OF RIDING WITH THE CLUB AND HAVING YOUR OWN INSURANCE IS STRONGLY ADVISED.
CLUB RIDES RESUME FROM SATURDAY 3rd APRIL
We will continue to stick to the ‘rule of 6’ but keep this under review.
8.30am Black group
8.45am Red group
9.00am Yellow and Orange group
9.15am Green group
We continue to meet at The Green, Syston unless ride leaders post an alternative meet place/time on our Facebook group. We will take a flexible approach to routes for the next few weeks, deciding as a group where to head depending on where’s open, weather and numbers.
UPDATED CLUB STATEMENT ON GOVERNMENT ROADMAP - 10/3/2021
Following is a statment from British Cycling regarding the roadmap exit from lockdown. If the data allows, from 29th March, we will be able to meet as a club and ride in groups. The group of 6 rule will no longer apply. However, we will continue to be sensible with meet times and group size. Details will be posted on Facebook nearer the time. This is the British Cycling guidance:-
British Cycling roadmap
Informal activity – such as going for a bike ride with friends – will remain subject to the Government’s general guidance on exercise and social distancing.
From March 8
- People can leave their house to cycle alone, within their household bubble or with one other person.
From March 29
- British Cycling-affiliated Club rides or recreation programme rides for up to 15 participants (or limited to relevant leader/rider ratios), on highways, trails and tracks.
- Outdoor club, local and regional competition and challenge events, such as sportives, across a range of disciplines. This will be subject to guidance set out in The Way Forward.
From 12 April at the earliest:
- Outdoor regional and some national competition and challenge events across a range of disciplines, including pilots for road racing and downhill mountain bike events with uplift
From 17 May at the earliest:
- Recreational group and club riding in any number (or limited to relevant leader/rider ratios), on highways, trails and tracks.
- Indoor and outdoor coach-led club training and coaching for all ages.
- Indoor regional and national competition all ages.
From 21 June at the earliest:
- All activity to resume.
- Restrictions at this stage TBC.
In the second part of Step 1 of the roadmap, which is currently due to commence from 29 March, formally organised outdoor sport and physical activity is able to restart and will not be subject to the ‘Rule of Six’ gatherings limit. As a result of this, British Cycling is pleased to say that at this stage our sanctioned club and recreation programme rides will be able to take place in groups of up to 15 people (while still adhering to any relevant leader/rider ratios).
Riders will be required to maintain a ‘one metre plus’ distance from others, and follow other relevant guidance on hygiene, self-sufficiency and equipment sharing. These details will be confirmed within the revised The Way Forward documents. Clubs and groups which do not feel confident or comfortable riding in groups of 15 at this stage are permitted and encouraged to set a lower limit which is appropriate for their own circumstances, and we will be providing additional resources to support leaders, clubs and groups that require it.
While we know that group riding presents a very low risk of transmission (due to it taking place outdoors, with very limited face-to-face contact), we must remain mindful of the wider public’s understandable concerns around Covid-19 and ensure that all clubs and groups respect and adhere to the relevant Covid-secure guidance for safe delivery.
LINK TO THE FULL GUIDANCE:
INFORMATION ABOUT THE CLUB
The club was founded in 2014 and since then we have attracted a wide range of members from total beginners to experienced bikers and ex-racers. We can accommodate any age over 18 years of age. The shared interest being a love of cycling and enjoyment of the sport in a social environment. We’re all about having fun whilst achieving our personal best, whatever that might be – from gaining more confidence in a new sport to pushing ourselves to smash the land speed record in lycra! We are pride ourselves on being inclusive, friendly and welcoming. Our main club ride takes place on Saturday mornings leaving at 8:30am or 9am (depending on time of year) from The Green in Syston. There are four groups, each led by a group leader, to cater for everyone’s ability – all of which include the obligatory café stop (with optional cake!). We have plenty more going on, including our mid-week daytime group going out every Wednesday, summer evening rides, special charity events and weekend adventures further afield. We also arrange regular social events that are well attended and always good fun! We are currently tipping the scales at just over 90 members – a fairly small club with plenty of big ambition. We are welcome to new ideas, suggestions and routes and our committee are always keen to receive your feedback.
So why join Syston Syclers?
- We are supportive and encouraging for all levels
- An adult only club - to be a member you need to be 18
- We ensure that no rider ever gets left behind
- We have planned routes with dedicated ride leaders
- A Closed Facebook group for members to arrange additional rides and events
- A smart Syston Syclers kit designed by one of our members
- A range of events and rides across the year Offers and discounts for members
- Affiliated with British Cycling