Welcome to the Syston Syclers!
CLUB STATEMENT OF COVID-19 AND RESPONSE TO
LATEST BRITISH CYCLING GUIDANCE
The way forward for Cycling and Syston Syclers
June 18th 2020
British Cycling released guidance, June 18th, on club and group riding. We are now entering into stage 3 of their guidance which states: -
Club activities and coaching sessions can resume today, providing they are delivered in line with Government guidance on group sizes and social distancing.
British Cycling Covid-19 Guidance 18th June 2020
What does this mean for Syston Syclers?
The committee have reviewed and discussed the above guidance. We acknowledge that it will be a personal decision, based on your own circumstances and feelings, how you choose to ride in the coming weeks; solo, pairs, household only or groups. We want to give you the option of beginning to take part in some group rides BUT with the following principles:
1. Groups must be of 6 or less.
2. There will be no nominated group leader or first aider.
3. Riders must adhere to 2m social distancing at all times.
4. Riders should consider good hygiene protocols when riding.
5. Outdoor cafes can be used in line with 2m social distancing.
6. Groups must arrange a meeting point and time via facebook or phone to avoid all groups meeting at The Green at 9am. Possible meeting points: The Green, Hobby Horse car park, or someone’s house.
From Saturday 27th June, we will publish Saturday routes for all the groups on our website. These are currently under review so they include an outdoor café. It may be that some people are more comfortable with riding solo and meeting for an outdoor coffee. Again, this can be co-ordinated through our closed facebook group if you wish. This is an opportunity to start making connections with each other and linking up with club members. We will review the arrangements in response to updated guidance.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE CLUB
The club was founded in 2014 and since then we have attracted a wide range of members from total beginners to experienced bikers and ex-racers. We can accommodate any age over 18 years of age. The shared interest being a love of cycling and enjoyment of the sport in a social environment. We’re all about having fun whilst achieving our personal best, whatever that might be – from gaining more confidence in a new sport to pushing ourselves to smash the land speed record in lycra! We are pride ourselves on being inclusive, friendly and welcoming. Our main club ride takes place on Saturday mornings leaving at 8:30am or 9am (depending on time of year) from The Green in Syston. There are four groups, each led by a group leader, to cater for everyone’s ability – all of which include the obligatory café stop (with optional cake!). We have plenty more going on, including our mid-week daytime group going out every Wednesday, summer evening rides, special charity events and weekend adventures further afield. We also arrange regular social events that are well attended and always good fun! We are currently tipping the scales at just over 90 members – a fairly small club with plenty of big ambition. We are welcome to new ideas, suggestions and routes and our committee are always keen to receive your feedback.
So why join Syston Syclers?
- We are supportive and encouraging for all levels
- An adult only club - to be a member you need to be 18
- We ensure that no rider ever gets left behind
- We have planned routes with dedicated ride leaders
- A Closed Facebook group for members to arrange additional rides and events
- A smart Syston Syclers kit designed by one of our members
- A range of events and rides across the year Offers and discounts for members
- Affiliated with British Cycling